With raw butternut squash ribbons, crisp kale, delicate Swiss chard, and an orange vinaigrette, this salad is simple and one of my favorites.
For orange vinaigrette:
- 1 medium shallot, finely diced
- 1/4 cup pulp-free orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 2 medium bunches (4 cups) kale, chopped
- 1 medium bunch Swiss or rainbow chard
- 1/2 medium butternut squash
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup pumpkin seeds
- 6 ounces fresh chèvre (goat cheese), crumbled, optional
1. In a small mixing bowl, whisk all ingredients for vinaigrette to combine.
2. Clean and thoroughly dry kale and chard. With a sharp knife, remove woody stems from kale. Chop both greens into bite-size pieces.
3. Remove and discard seeds from butternut squash. Use a vegetable peeler to slice thin ribbons from inside squash.
4. In a large bowl, combine greens, squash ribbons, dried cranberries, and pumpkin seeds. Toss with half the vinaigrette. Transfer salad to 6 plates. Top with crumbled chèvre and serve additional vinaigrette on the side.