Many of the patients we see at the center are busy New Yorkers that are always on the go, running from one meeting to the next. It makes healthy eating a bit more challenging, but it’s still do-able. Here are some tips for healthy snacks for your busy workday:
Stock Up Your Desk
Keep some snacks in your desk at work, or in your purse. It’s easy to keep gluten-free crackers, rice cakes, almond butter, nuts and even canned wild salmon on hand. Buy a bag of organic apples and put one in your bag each morning.
Plan Your Snacks
If you’re hungry for a snack, don’t grab the first thing in sight. Plan your snacks in advance and treat them like a mini-meal.
Take note of when you get hungry each day. Do you have a snack attack mid-morning? If so, you may want to have a SUSTAIN shake around 11am to get a protein boost. Or do you hit the vending machine for Swedish Fish or race to Starbucks every afternoon? If that’s the case, make sure you’re having a nourishing lunch, and plan for a healthier snack.
- Mary’s Gone Crackers Gluten-Free and Wheat-Free Snacks
- Mixed raw almonds, walnuts, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds, pumpkin seeds and goji berries. Trader Joe’s has individual servings of mixed nuts, or you can make your own using small ziplocs. Remember a serving of nuts is 1 ounce, or about the size of a shot glass.
- 1 apple sliced with 1 tablespoon almond butter
- Carrot and cucumber sticks with hummus
- Brown rice cake with almond butter
- A protein shake or greens shake
- Canned wild salmon with gluten free crackers or a rice cake
- Piece of fruit
We’re not big fans of having protein bars, because they’re often highly processed and loaded with sugar. But if you’re going to have a bar, read the nutrition label. You don’t want a long list of ingredients that you can’t pronounce. Also, look at the grams of sugar and remember that 4 grams of sugar = a teaspoon. Kind bars and Lara bars are a good choice if you’re in a pinch.
For a more indulgent treat, Hail Merry makes some delicious Blonde Macaroons that are raw, vegan and gluten-free. If you hit the 3pm slump, try a Wei Love chocolate, which is infused with chili and has maca for energy. These are organic vegan dark chocolates that are infused with flower essences.
Make sure you’re staying hydrated during the day as well. Trade in your coffee and Diet Coke for water, seltzer water, coconut water and herbal teas.
With just a little bit of planning and preparation, you can nourish yourself during the day and you won’t be so tempted by the office candy bowl. Let us know what your favorite healthy workday snacks are, and email [email protected] with any questions.