By Be Well Health Coach Katrine van Wyk
Our friends at the amazing food delivery service Provenance Meals [www.provenancemeals.com] have another delicious gluten-free treat recipe to share, and we’re pretty darn excited about it. We get asked about good and healthy snack or protein bar options all the time, especially from our busy patients who are on-the-go and traveling a lot. These bars are a gift for all of you busy people. They would also be a perfect after-school snack or as a sweet treat in any lunch box. And did we mention; they’re gluten free, dairy free and egg free?
Gluten Free Dessert Bars Recipe by Chef Liam Miller
- 1 ½ cups Almond Flour
- ½ cup Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
- 1 ½ cups Coconut Oil (Note: you may need less coconut oil, depending on how much nuts and fruits you put in. The texture should be like wet sand.)
- 1 tbsp Vanilla Extract
- 1 tsp Salt
- ½ cup Honey or Maple Syrup
- ½ cup Mixed Seeds and Nuts (Flax, Sunflower, Pepitas, Cashew, Chia)
- ½ cup Dried Fruit (Cranberry, Cherry, Crystalized Ginger, Blueberry, Apricot)
- 8 oz Dark chocolate
- ½ cup Shredded Coconut
Pre-heat the oven to 375 degrees and grease a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
In a large bowl, use your hands to mix together the almond flour, rolled oats, coconut oil, vanilla extract, salt, honey, seeds and dried fruit. Add enough coconut oil so the texture is like wet sand.
With your hands firmly press the mixture into the baking dish.
Evenly spread the shredded coconut on top.
Melt the chocolate in a double boiler on the stove.
Drizzle the melted chocolate over the top of the bars.
Bake for 25 minutes in 375F degree oven.
Cool bars on the counter and then in the freezer before cutting.
Cut and store in air-tight container.