How do you treat Chronic Inflammation?
Avoid pro-inflammatory foods
Avoid sugar and refined foods, processed foods, trans fats, dairy, gluten grains and factory farmed meats, all of which are pro-inflammatory. Try the REMOVE or REVIVE diets – both of these eliminate the harmful foods you need to avoid.
Eat foods that cool inflammation
- Lots of spices – in particular, turmeric, ginger, rosemary and basil
- Lots of fruits and vegetables (preferably organic)
- Wild salmon, sardines, herring and anchovies
- Olive oil
Support your body’s own anti-inflammatory response with specific supplements
- Vitamin D3
- Fish oil
- Green powdered drinks
- A good multivitamin
Balance your gut (gut imbalances are a common source of inflammation)
- Avoid food allergens
- Treat low-grade infections
- Take probiotics
Decrease toxicity (toxicity will cause inflammation)
- Eat organic foods as much as possible
- Decrease the amount of chemicals you put on your skin
- Decrease the amount of chemicals in your home
- Try the REMOVE or REVIVE diets – both of these eliminate the toxic ingredients you need to avoid
There is lots of research showing that physical activity suppresses inflammation.
This is because fat cells fuel inflammation.
Get plenty of rest and relaxation
Stress promotes inflammation and therefore decreasing stress will decrease inflammation.
Brush and floss your teeth
Periodontal disease causes inflammation and flossing prevents periodontal disease.
Apart from being able to calm down inflammation, acupuncture is a way to generally improve function.
In essence, my method is to remove what is harmful and add in that which is beneficial. This means removing as many pro-inflammatory foods and toxins as possible, eliminating foods that cause sensitivities or are common food allergens, while at the same time supporting your system with the appropriate nutrients and modalities for it to function more efficiently.